[Bf-committers] Render Layer Proposal

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:31:29 CET 2012

2012/1/17 Alex Glawion <alexglawion at gmx.de>

> Francois,
> I agree with you 100%. I recently made a short film with roughly 80
> shots, 5-10 renderlayers per shot, 3-5 passes per renderlayer.
> All these image/pass/renderlayer sequences had to be saved via
> FileOutput node.
> Imagine setting up (changing filepaths) in over 1000 Fileoutput Nodes
> ;-) I hear you!

I feel for you my friend :)

> Yes, it is possible to save to MultiExr, but everyone knows multilayexr
> and AE (proExr plugin or similar) is a tedious workflow.

not so tedious, they have a nice script to setup all the passes, but ssoooo
ffreeeaaakkiinnngg slow !

> I would be happy to just have variables for the pathname. eg.
>  f:\Blender\$szeneName\$passname\$frame_number_$passname.exr

YES using variables in the naming would be AWESOME !

> The passname and renderlayername could be (i suspect, i'm not a coder)
> easily extracted from examining the connection of the fileoutput socket.
> szeneName/shotName would be Blender Scene Name, path could be realtive,
> or a constant somewhere, frame_number is obvious.

Yeah I don't thing that's the hard part at all ;)

> Though, what if i would want to do some node calculations before saving
> the pass? eg. z-buffer range adjusting, vector map color adjustments and
> so on.

Well if you want to have all your pass seperated into different image
sequence to use in another compositor, then I don't see the point of doing
some setup here, you'll be able to do it your external compositor. You
better keep things raw.
But lets say you really do need to do it then you get out of the pipeline
of this proposal, and fall into the current one. Then use maybe a python
script or some node group to setup all your fileOutput nodes. This is not
the big issue. My issue is having to turn on the compositor and go through
its setup when none real use of it is there.