[Bf-committers] Render Layer Proposal

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:16:02 CET 2012

Ton :
My bad for calling it better or whatever, I'm sorry that's all you
understood and remember from my mail, in which I tried to explain each
point of the current process and how I "wish" it to be !

But maybe the best way to understand it is if you try to render each pass
into different image sequence (whatever format : png, jpg,tga, tiff, ...)
and see how long the process is and how it would slow down the render time.
If you do so, you'll see that the only way to do it is manually by hand via
the compositor.

You actually told me the reason why we have openEXR & MultiLayer (exr) is
because some third party software do not support Multilayer properly. That
doesn't mean the user wouldn't like to have all his passes seperated.

So my proposal was for Blender to render 1 "image sequence" by passes out
of the box without going through the trouble of compositor, and this only
in case the user didn't choose a multiLayer format.
Basically assuming that if he didn't setup the compositor, selected a few
passes to render and select a format as PNG for example, then it means he
wants 1 sequences by passes in a PNG format saved on his harddrive (that
why I suggested a path naming convention as well). And same goes for
multiple RenderLayers.

I honestly don't know how to explain it more clearly I'm sorry :'(

F.