[Bf-committers] Patch Rotate Background Images

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 20:35:56 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> were you aware of this?
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.58#Empty_Images_Display:
>
> notes
> - xray option renders on top
> - object alpha is used.
> - alpha works same as textured quad on a mesh (but also draws in wire view)
> - to see alpha lines on top of other objects without alpha draw order
> glitches --- user prefs -> system -> clip alpha (set to 0.5 or so)
>
> I'm not really a fan of existing background images, so adding rotation
> is of course useful if you already use it, but think empty objects
> work better since there more flexible and don't get lost when joining
> windows.

Yes, but I don't use it after having tried it. I found the interface
to be much less intuitive than using background settings. I guess it
is really just me being lazy and not wanting to switch to something
new. I also did not see any real advantages to it, however I did  not
put 2 and 2 together to see that I could use the xray option (or is
that new?). That alone is a good reason to use it. Perhaps background
should be dropped and the gui controls for it used to set up the empty
for this use? I think it would make it more user friendly and also old
users like me would start catching on that there is a new and better
way.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!