[Bf-committers] Fixed number of Layers

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 17 17:17:41 CET 2012

Guess i will think it through and create a detailed description on how
it might look like and how it would be used. I guess the only thing i
can never compete with is the creation of layers, since currently they
are always present, can't be added or removed. ;-)

But i guess my approach would be the same as for textures. You can
add/remove, rename and disable/enable them.

Adding, removing and naming would be basically the same. So i would
prefer it to rename them directly in the list, instead inside an extra
text field, like it is currently done for textures, keys as well. But
that isn't such important to me. Disabling and enabling layers would
work with a checkbox before or behind the name, or like a toggle-button
with the name on it.

You can change the order of textures as you like. This could also apply
to layers as well, since it could also be useful to arrange them in a
custom order to make objects jump from layer to layer (index based).

That would be the basic concept inside the properties editor. This would
also work to assign renderlayers, masks, etc. Currently we have their 3
times the same component: "Scene", "Layer", "Mask". Like inside the
outliner this could be three icons left or right to the layers name. I
guess this would be much clearer to the user.

Whats left is the move to a layer operator and the tiny buttons inside
the 3d view header. The first could be a menu like for adding
constraints, but it just toggles the state for the listed layers and
will be canceled/confirmed by clicking outside of the popup menu. The
second thing would be replaced by a button named layers, which also
brings up the same type of dialog, when clicked or hoovered (closes
immediately if mouse leaves "connected" popup)

I hope that you could follow this thoughts. I will draw a mockup anyway
to illustrate it in more detail and to find possible weakpoints.