[Bf-committers] Fixed number of Layers

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:12:54 CET 2012

Now we have twenty layers for compositing and twentyfour for rigging. I
would call it plenty, but sometimes this is already hard on the limit.
Additionally it is hard to figure out what is on which layer and what it
is supposed to contain. Especially if someone wants to use a file from
someone else. How often do we see files delivered with an extra or
internal text file that explains the layers? I would say: Quite often.

I know that the current layer system is quite quick to use and has a
small ui interface. But wouldn't it be better to allow a variable number
of layers and to assign them a name (and description)? We already have
something similar for workspaces and scenes, where you can add "layers"
as needed.

So i may ask: Would it make sense to introduce a similar mechanism for
renderlayers, bonelayers, etc.?