[Bf-committers] Transform tool tweaks

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Tue Jan 17 02:39:51 CET 2012

Hello Blender devs!

I've been scratching an itch lately and working on a few features that I
would like to see in Blender. I made a video so you can see how it works.

http://youtu.be/zcEvpjXlIfs

Here's the video in brief:

* I added a new tool, a *context-sensitive transform tool*, that does a
different transform depending on what manipulator is active. So, if the
Transform manipulator is active the tool works like Grab, if the scaling
manipulator is active it works like Resize, and so on.
* I added support for *pressing the same button which activated a tool to
confirm*. So, press G once to grab, press it again to confirm.
* I added support for *drag and drop handling*. This is seamless with the
tools. Hold G to grab, drag the object, let go to drop it again.

When you combine these three things together you get a mode of operation
that I feel takes advantage of the "Blender Way" of doing things, (quickly
and efficiently!) but also makes sense to users coming from other tools.
These changes are also not incompatible with how current Blender users
work, so you don't have to do the W-E-R Maya thing like I do to take
advantage of the new features.

I'll be submitting patches of my work when I'm a bit happier with them.
(Right now it needs work still for a few edge cases.) For now I was hoping
to get some feedback. What can I do to make the patch submitting process
easier? Like I said in the video I'm going to be working on this for a
while and I would like the team to consider taking me on as a member. In
the meantime my work will be stored on my GitHub fork:
https://github.com/BSVino/Blender

PS - I keep trying to sign up for Blender Foundation but I can's log in. My
username is Vino and I've clicked the confirmation email twice but it still
says I'm not confirmed. Who can I talk to about this?

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com
twitter: VinoBS