[Bf-committers] FFMPEG PRESETS: writeffmpeg.c 1253-1344 still needed?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 10:34:29 CET 2012

Hi,

Long story short -- currently this lines are needed.

This lines ensures codec's settings are valid when changing file format or
codec used and it's actually nothing to do with that python-defined
presets. If you'll leave only current python-defined presets it'll be
really easy to run in a situation when codec can't support combination of
values left from previous settings. Also, i.e. h264 codec uses "expert"
options which aren't exposed into python at all and without this settings
codec will work not actually ideal.

Ofcourse plenty of things can be improved here, but it's not just like
"drop this function and everybody happy". It need to be more serious
presets rethinking and rethinking of how user interacts with codec settings.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com>wrote:

> Campbell can probably answer this as I suspect the lines in question
> are probably from pre 2.5x lineage.
>
> Since we migrated the FFMPEG to a full RNA structure with presets in
> the scripts folder, I was wondering if we still required lines
> 1253-1344 of writeffmpeg.c?
>
> It appeared that the lines in question manually assigned the variables
> in C, where it seems that the preset scripts now do that.
>
> To test, I commented out the lines and the presets still work.
>
> So is this code legacy cruft?
>
> With respect,
> TJS

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin