[Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout

Juha Mäki-Kanto kiskosika at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 21:28:11 CET 2012

Hi,

Did some digging into this -> armature animation vs
collada<http://www.pasteall.org/28205/text>

>From testing and looking at the code Blender imports and uses animation
curves directly which isn't good. It'll only match the original in special
circumstances like if the rotation difference between bone's restpose vs
parent's restpose is identity and you're only animating rotations. For
Second Life there is actually a trick to set all restbones to be positive
Y-axis (identity matrix) which apparently then loads correctly there.

It seems that 2.59 did export/import for armatures correctly
(#29082<http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?group_id=9&atid=498&func=detail&aid=29082>);
tested it and the eulers in the file were interpreted to be quaternions
(and the animation works) so the previous system was somewhat aware of this
caveat.

The gist to me is that collada's transformations may not match a program's
internal representation and reinterpreting usually goes via collada data to
full matrix, possibly fix the matrix and then decomposite to curves. It's a
lossy conversion, key's should match but interpolation won't -> you need to
bake/key every frame when importing the curves.