[Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout export crytek

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:24:27 CET 2012

> > Much better stakeholders would be Linden Labs (2nd life), or
> > CryTek... or Daz?
> > Three names of companies who make plenty of dollars with software
> > licensing. Why
> > don't they put an employee as developer in our team, to ensure
> > Collada exports
> > smoothly for their products?

Because they use FBX (at least if they work as the one I know). FBX is well
supported in the entire pipepline from MotionBuilder for anim & mocap to
maya and max for integration and very easy to integrate into in-house tool
as well.
In this original pipeline Collada is not so popular so why would they
bother to re-adapt the entire workflow when they only have one format to
implement at the end in there in-house tools since they have no issue with
paying licence ?
Those company usually support Collada as well, but don't support it to much
and do not care if it doesn't work since they always have the fbx solution
:p