[Bf-committers] Blender App Central / Add-on Manager

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 22:42:06 CET 2012

@Moraes, agree we should really have something like this!

Just to note that addons can be `installed` as zip files currently -
so all a tool needs to do at a very basic level is to extract files
into a dir.

(yes there is possible dependency hell and how to manage
un-installing. but for now most addons are in 1 dir and don't depend
on others so lets ignore those problems for the purpose of
discussion).

Regarding addons not always installing - its really the job of the
author to make sure they do, its very simple (addon in a zipdir) -
probably they put it in a sub-sub-dir and it gives problems

I'm also wary of adding yet-another-layer over addons, but think this
can work as an online installer/repo - simply saves us distributing
every addon/theme/material with blender.

Some options are. ..
- Web front end which can interact with blender (as suggested before)
- don't have anything to add to this, I don't know web programming.

- Do something like the "Eclipse-IDE" - In-application extension
installer. where you point it to a number of URL's which are sources
for extensions - people could host own extensions repo if they really
wanted, this can manage checking for updates and listing available
extensions.

- Use pythons own packaging system - "easy_install" or "pip", didnt
investigate it but since py has a packaging system could be useful,
suspect its overkill for our purpose though.
Note that this is more of a backend - so could use any kind of web/gui frontend.

However we get the issue of how to store this data, manage logins -
trust who uploads files etc.

As much as worrying about multiple addon-overlays I'm concerned with
multiple (too many!) ways for devs to contribute (having to give devs
access to multiple logins / repos).

Personally I'd like whatever system we use to be a front-end to source
control (so devs commit our extension repo and magically get listed) -
but my impression is many scripters just want to upload a zip over a
web interface - or something as simple. However I really don't like to
loose the benefits of source control.
Though we could just assume devs have their own source-control and
these online extensions are working snapshots of that - like how many
packaging systems work.

It would be good to avoid having to write our own linux-distro style
packaging system, if we can keep it simple+workable we give ourselves
a lot less problems.

- Campbell

--
- Campbell