[Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:30:45 CET 2012

> I had a quick look at the code, and decided it was overly simplistic and
> wouldn't handle a lot of valid cases correctly. A mesh shared between
> two objects for example, I think would end up stored as two meshes
> rather than one with multiple links to it.

this is too bad because AFAIK collada is well designed to support
instances. Actually the entire design of it is based on that (or did
collada structure change so much since I looked into it a few years back.

 Having a scripted exporter is easy to write, I agree. But OpenCOLLADA is
> only 5% about exporting and 95% about importing files into DCC tools. I
> do not expect a <1k LOC Python script to successful import any DAE files...

maybe the importer should focus first on "well" exported collada ? again my
importer back then was a 2 cents one, but I was able to import (was only
working on importer at the time) scene, camera, mesh, material from maya,
max, xsi & blender without trouble. Maybe we were using a plugin for max I
can't remember, but I don't remember having special cases for one of the
program. I remember Max was using a lot of "technics" node for specific
feature which yes I was not supporting but is that really a priority ?
It was probably not coded the smart way or the most optimized way, but by
importing first all library and relinking all dependencies together then...
it wasn't much of an effort though.
But again since my importer was so simple and didn't import everything,
there is probably cases I never met. Is there a doc somewhere which defines
all those "exceptions" ?

cheers,

F.