[Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout

Domino Marama domino at dominodesigns.info
Mon Jan 9 13:00:09 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 11:43 +0100, Ton Roosendaal wrote about Juan's
script:
> So; Collada users here, please check it the code and report back?

As it is at the moment, I found it too buggy to use. It doesn't handle
parented objects well at all. My most basic test is a chain of 3
empties, translated and rotated. All 3 imported back at 0,0,0 and the
child ones have the wrong rotations.

I had a quick look at the code, and decided it was overly simplistic and
wouldn't handle a lot of valid cases correctly. A mesh shared between
two objects for example, I think would end up stored as two meshes
rather than one with multiple links to it.

Given how spectacularly it failed on the tests I threw at it, I went
back to coding on my own exporter which I started when you announced
your preference for dropping Collada. It only does cameras and empties
so far though, so it's not a viable alternative yet either :)