[Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Jan 6 11:58:38 CET 2012

Hi,

I think it's a bad precedence to create a tracker for every feature we notice is badly supporting or failing. Just moving reports to another tracker is not solving anything of course.

I would rather tackle it more political & practical:

1) Official announcement that Blender drops Collada support
2) Move Collada support into a branch, out of trunk
3) Create a tracker "orphanage" or "branches" or so, where we put all reports that are not in support (anymore).

BTW:

I've personally had it with Collada and its supporters. Next time we add this back in Blender it should be based on well defined and tested use cases, on a level we (or the branch team) can support it. In my opinion that's proven to be impossible, for reasons how Collada works, designed and has been organized.

Three months ago already I wrote this open letter:
http://code.blender.org/index.php/2011/10/collada-momentum/

-Ton-