[Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout

Nathan Letwory nathan at letworyinteractive.com
Wed Jan 4 21:12:59 CET 2012

Hi,

I currently have not much time to put into this, but please drop into
#blendercollada to check status of efforts there too.

There are many possibilities being worked on (an importer/exporter by skrat
based on pycollada, and there was at some point a user who wanted to donate
some personal code, but that is I think also WIP. Further the company
Mixamo has been in contact about COLLADA support) , so if you or someone
else can step up to guide the process that'd be great.

/Nathan

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As everybody noticed current collada importer/exporter is very buggy which
> seems to make this format almost useless in Blender. And what's much worse
> -- we don't actually have developer who maintains this area.
>
> We discussed this already with Campbell and found that OpenCollada itself
> isn't actually maintaning -- there are only few commits in several months.
> Ofcourse it doesn't mean this library is useless and all bug from our
> tracker is related on that issues, but still.. Maybe the time have come to
> re-think this importer/exporter (investigate if it's possible to fix issues
> in clear way, check if design is good enough -- not sure, haven't touched
> this code deep myself)?
>
> Here's our proposal:
> - Move all collada-related issues into it's own tracker. Like it was done
> with BGE, it might help finding volunteer to fix them. Also, people will
> see that it's not actually core stuff and that it's community-supported.
> - Disable collada in release builds. It's not useable and only seems to be
> making artists disappointed.
>
> More optimistic targets would be find volunteer to pick up this stuff who
> will make it usable (maybe rewritting this stuff from scratch..)
>
> --
> With best regards, Sergey Sharybin

Nathan Letwory
Letwory Interactive