[Bf-committers] Updated BMesh Merge Proposal

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 21:51:20 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Getting my 2 cents in on an old thread...
>
> On Dec 2, 2011 3:29 PM, "Campbell Barton" <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are many options here, I was going to list all the ones I could
>> think of but most have some fairly annoying drawbacks.
>
> You missed one of the best ones imo...
>
> New '2.6' is made 3.0 beta, including a new .blend3 file extension which
> has a different file association and header so old blender versions
> wouldn't even try to load it. Users can manually export legacy .blend files
> from 2.6 (3.0) with various caveats.
>
> Writing files which people will think should work but will just crash old
> blender seems like a 'colosally bad idea'. It will only further cement
> blender's status as an unreliable amateur hobbiest tool. Blender should
> never crash.

I think he has a good point. I don't personally care if blender
clashes when old programs try and load new blender blend files but I
might be nice to have the new blender versions have code that does
something like:

Load file, check compatibility variable and if it fails print contained message.

So the  file header might have

(works with) 2.5.5 to 2.8, (if not in this range than print) "error
massage". The error massage might contain some helpful info like how
the file might be converted to work etc.

This will prevent blender of the future from ever having  to face this
choice again.

I also think that move from the old system to Bmesh is a big enough
change to warrant a big version number change or even as he suggested
a new blender extension.

Antony Riakiotakis, what do you mean by not this again?

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: