[Bf-committers] Have the 3D View support 3D hardware?

Alex Fraser alex at phatcore.com
Wed Feb 29 09:11:35 CET 2012

Hi,

While it's a nice idea, this wouldn't be easy to implement. If the view was
in stereo, any point on the screen would have two vectors into the scene -
so how do you know which object you're pointing to with the mouse? You have
to either choose one eye, or have another way to define the ray, e.g. a
6dof input device. It also means Blender would have to be very careful not
to let objects come too close to the camera, or else the 2D interface (the
mouse cursor and other 2D UI elements) would appear to be inside the 3D
objects, resulting in very unpleasant clipping (it would give you a
headache).

Cheers,
Alex