[Bf-committers] XIM improvement (non-latin support + connection recovery)

IRIE Shinsuke irieshinsuke at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Feb 28 15:13:44 CET 2012

HI Kajiyama-san,

Thanks for your proposal.

I believe my patch works as I intend, but there still are few issues:

Issue 1: XIM server unconditionally consumes the key events, so in
some cases the key events are unwantedly used for the preedit even if
the situation obviously doesn't need the input method.  AFAIK, input
method is necessary only for the below cases:

  - Input box in UI such as scene name is activated
  - Mouse pointer is on the 3D view and the text object is in edit mode
  - Mouse pointer is on the text editor
  - Mouse pointer is on the console

but there is no way to know if one of these conditions is satisfied.

Issue 2: Only "root window" style input is supported, but most people
want "over the spot" style one.  As I mentioned in the initial comment
of the patch, there is no way to obtain the coordinates of current
caret position.

I think the issue 1 is important because it often disturbs that we use
the shortcut keys.  For example, we never can use Ctrl-SPC to toggle
3D-manipulator in 3D view.  The other applications such as Firefox
avoid the same problem by enabling the input method only when the
input box is activated.

The issues mentioned above should be solved after the necessary
features have been implemented.  Of course the necessary features are
also necessary for the other platforms (Windows and OS X).

Anyway, I tested the patch with IBus and SCIM, and think it's stable
enough to merge.

IRIE Shinsuke