[Bf-committers] 3D Cursor and Border Select

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Tue Feb 28 05:31:10 CET 2012

On the topic of bound select: I made some changes that allow for, instead
of bound select, a sort of drag-select wherein the user drags the mouse
over the specific things he wants selected. I modified the circle select to
make it. It's a bit more precise than a bound select. If you want to try it
out, you can find it here:

https://github.com/BSVino/Blender

I haven't built a distributable yet because I haven't had time to get the
scons build to work and/or get cpack to package Blender properly.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> Which leads to the main issue: three out of four members of our current UI
> owner team is very inactive now. We need to refresh this team with people
> who get as much respect & recognition as we had during the 2.5 period, and
> then trust them to build and maintain a sane default.

I volunteer. I've already done a bunch of work on this. I have a lot of
ideas on how to improve Blender's UI and I have some time to devote.

I submitted a patch<http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=29945&group_id=9&atid=127>before
which allows for left-click select and also drag and drop with the
transform tools, but nothing happened with it. If I were on the Blender
team I could commit this and all of the other work I've done on Blender
(see the commit
history<https://github.com/BSVino/Blender/commits/traditional>in my
GitHub account) directly to the project. Here's all of the stuff I've
done with Blender that I would love to see in trunk:

   - Added some more manipulator handles that move an object locked to 2
   dimensions instead of 1. Sort of like pressing shift.
   - Hovering over a manipulator with the mouse highlights it.
   - The above mentioned drag-select and drag-drop features.
   - The ability to bind a key to go directly to vert edge or face mode
   from object mode.
   - An option for hiding the 3D cursor completely. (I know this would be
   unpopular - it would be off by default. Some people hate the 3D cursor.)

I'd love to join the team.

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com