[Bf-committers] XIM improvement (non-latin support + connection recovery)

IRIE Shinsuke irieshinsuke at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Feb 24 11:33:07 CET 2012

Hi Kajiyama-san,

1. I confirmed the same error on Ubuntu 11.10 + VirtualBox 4.1.8, but
I also got this error without applying my patch when quitting Blender
by Control+Q + ENTER.  Maybe this error happens if XIM server attempts
to send the reply to already deleted window.  I think it's no problem
because the error handler ApplicationErrorHandler() in
GHOST_WindowX11.cpp simply display the message.

2. I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 amd64 on a real machine.  In my test
environment, the international font is properly displayed with no
specific font setting except in the text editor.  I guess the
unreadable blank text in VirtualBox is due to the graphic driver (not
for your font setting).

Currently Blender's text editor uses a hard-coded monospace font
defined in source/blender/editors/datafiles/bmonofont.ttf.c.  This
font doesn't have the Japanese glyphs and cannot be changed to another
one by any settings, unfortunately.  I tried making another patch that
uses international monospace font, but showing the cursor and the
word-wrapping didn't work correctly because the text editor doesn't
consider wide-characters at all.  Probably the text editor needs
drastic changes to use international font.

Anyway, thanks for the testing!

--
IRIE Shinsuke