[Bf-committers] Animation regression, quaternion normalization

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Thu Feb 23 23:03:50 CET 2012

Hi guys, I wrote to the list about this before but received no response.

I don't know when this was changed, but quaternion rotations for
objects and bones in Blender are no longer auto-normalized for the
user.  I am frustrated that a release (2.62) made it out the door with
this being the case, as it substantially harms the practicality of
animating with quaternions.  It is not "incorrect" behavior per se, so
I am hesitant to file a bug report.  But it is something that needs to
be changed.

I think we either need to revert behavior back to how it was before
(quaternions being auto-normalized in the transform panel), or find
another solution.  But as things are right now, quaternions are
impractical to animate with in many circumstances (especially doing
blocking on characters involving large rotations).  I will be happy to
provide a technical explanation of why that is the case, but at the
moment I am swamped trying to finish my rigging DVD.

I just want to make sure this doesn't slip into the next release as
well!  It is a serious regression.

--Nathan