[Bf-committers] Color Unpremultiply

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Feb 20 04:48:44 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. Yes. Yes. Completely agree. It's my fault!
>
> I did _try_ to get the blasted thing on the output node, but the UI
> goes fuzzy on some of those special nodes, of which the output is one.

There, there :) The Colour Management option doesn't really belong
there either, but it's there since half of what was involved in that
work was linearising inputs to BI, and it was added before Blender
really started to open up to the prospect of seamlessly using external
renderers through the render API, and well before it shipped with two
renderers by default.

In the future, if people will be working on further implementations of
this sort of thing (using a CMS for example), it would be good to keep
in mind the question of how to present an accurate impression of how
all this fits together in blender. At the least, a first step would be
clearly separating the options concerning how colour/imagery is
imported into any particular renderer (which should be handled in the
properties owned by that renderer itself) vs what's going on in the
rest of the pipeline surrounding that (eg. comp and file output).
Right now, the distinction between BI render and comp settings is
still a bit murky (eg. the sky/premul/straight option), and it needs a
bit of a push into a renderer-agnostic future.

cheers

Matt