[Bf-committers] Raspberry Pi render farm

Markus Schulz schulz at alpharesearch.de
Sun Feb 19 05:27:47 CET 2012

I was wondering if this ARM computer that can run Debian could be used to build a render farm. It only cost $35 with Ethernet, it only needs 5V and it only uses around 2 watts as far as I understand.
I just guess it would need a lot less power than the PC solution at the Blender Institute right now. Getting several hundred would not be out of range and I also guess the savings in power would make up for it... anyway I'm not sure if this would be possible but I wanted to put this thought out in the open:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/
For example, maybe it would be a nice side project for Mango to build a open source render farm based on Raspberry Pi...
Regards,
Markus Schulz