[Bf-committers] Cycles, Optimize Linux Build?

Carsten Wartmann cw at blenderbuch.de
Thu Feb 9 14:10:00 CET 2012

Hi,

since some time (can't nail it down exactly) I found that my own trunk
builds are much slower for Cycles on GPU than builds from graphicall.org
or the official builds.

I am working on (X)Ubuntu 10.04 64bit. Here are some numbers:

Hardware: Geforce GTX 460SC, Intel QuadCore Q9450 at 2.66GHz, 4GB Ram

Compiler Flags: -O3 -ffast-math -msse2 -mtune=core2

Scene: Mike Pan's BMW Benchmark for Cycles
http://mikepan.com/files/BMW1M-MikePan.blend

2.62rc1:
---------
CPU: 6:54
GPU: 1:15

own build:
----------------
CPU: 5:48 (Yay!)
GPU: 5:09 (CPU Meter shows that it really renders with GPU)

So why is Cycles in my own build on the GPU so much slower? Where are
the buttons to tune it? What I am doing wrong?

EDIT: I did an experiment to copy the cycles/ folder in the addons to my
build and then I get the same numbers as the rc1... So I need to ask:
How do I compile this as fast as in the RC1?

Thanks,
Carsten
--
Carsten Wartmann: Autor - Dozent - 3D - Grafik
Homepage:         http://blenderbuch.de/