[Bf-committers] About COLLADA im/export functionality situation

Gaia Clary gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Tue Feb 7 09:16:34 CET 2012

Hi, Arystanbek

Thank you very much for the detailed analysis of the reports.
I am currently maintaining the following Wiki page for
organizing the current efforts to improve Collada:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Development/Todo/Import_Export#OpenCollada

I think that is the best place to merge your analysis into that page.
I also believe that due to the current activities some of the reports
have been solved already.

It would be helpful if you could take a quick look at the
"green" reports and give your feedback if these are really
fixed by now.

Also do you have any advice on how we actually can verify
that a certain collada export contains what it should contain ?

Do you know about some sort of "test viewer" ?
For static meshes i currently use MeshLab to verify that
the data is readable and consistent. But the main issues are
with exporting animation data (armatures, weights, etc...)

At the moment i only can verify that the exported rig and
the mesh weights are now recognized from the
Second Life Importer. But it would be of a much higher value
if there where some "Collada standard viewer" where we can
check the exports.

If such an option exists maybe even from OpenCollada, then
it would be just great to get that to work :)

cheers,
Gaia