[Bf-committers] Config Folder Proposal

Brendon Murphy meta.androcto1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 03:15:14 CET 2012

Hi,
Most users don't know or use this directory: Blender 2.61\2.61\config
The config folder when created by the user, will save the startup.bend to
this location & defaults for the build remain within the build it's self.
That is, wherever you have unzipped Blender will be the default folder path.
This allows, on Windows especially, multiple builds with multiple startups
& not using the default installed location at all.
Users\Dad\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.61 remains the
default install location.

My proposal is, that the 'config' folder be created in svn builds by
default.
This can be removed for official releases, then reactivated for svn builds.
I do beleive it should be in the official windows zip by default too.

For users of graphicall & builders, the config folder can be very handy.
i don't want experimental builds/branches overwriting appdata files,
there's no need & it can cause conflicts.

For me, this is a practial solution for multipe blender versions.
Thanks.
Brendon Murphy (meta-androcto)