[Bf-committers] Wayland to soon release stable 1.0

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 21:56:27 CET 2012

initial ghost/wayland port is likely a weekend project, once thats
working patches for --- copy/paste, fullscreen, mode switching,
tablets, mouse warping ... etc, can be added along the way.

If wayland gains popularity I'd guess proprietary drivers would move
to support it eventually.

No rush IMHO since we can likely use ghost/SDL, but also shouldn't be
a big deal to get it working.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM, skoti <skoti48 at o2.pl> wrote:
> At the beginning Wayland, the system will have the X server as a client
> of Wayland for compatibility with applications for X
> (http://wayland.freedesktop.org/x-on-wayland.png- blender for X will
> work), and Wayland will not be quickly implemented by linux
> distributions,because there are no drivers for graphics cards(AMD,
> Nvidia) provided by manufacturers - for example, Nvidia has no plans to
> support Wayland (which requires the use of KMS / GEM / ... what Nvidia
> does not want to do). In summary there is no rush with support for
> Wayland (which depends on the SDL port).
>
> On 01.02.2012 06:28, Reuben Martin wrote:
>> http://fosdem.org/2012/interview/kristian-hogsberg
>>
>> Has anybody even looked into porting Blender's toolkit to Wayland? Qt and Gtk
>> toolkits are chomping at the bit to move to Wayland, so I imagine that the
>> Linux distros will begin a hard push to move everything to Wayland in the not-
>> too-distant fiuture.
>>
>> -Reuben

- Campbell