[Bf-committers] Collada-patch for testing

Domino Marama domino at dominodesigns.info
Wed Feb 1 12:52:15 CET 2012

On 02/01/2012 10:33 AM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's wait a bit with a new list; we can do that when this project is really being tackled actively and everyone here's getting bored of collada discussions :)
Fair enough. There's the opencollada implementation and at least 3
partial python based exporters - I just thought that discussion of the
relative pros and cons of those may result in fairly heavy traffic for
awhile. It's the outcome of those discussions that I'd expect to form
into a plan that would go onto the wiki.
> You're for sure very welcome to join irc.freenode.net #blendercoders. There's always 100-150 people hanging out. I'd love to figure out what you can do precisely, or where your interest is mostly.
I've arranged to set aside part of the income from sales of our Second
Life addon scripts (Avastar and Primstar) to fund my work on Collada.
Collada is an essential feature for Second Life both for Blender users
and for users of other applications such as Maya and ZBrush who use
Blender to convert their content to Second Life via our scripts. We've
also users who model in Blender, and take content out to ZBrush for
detailing. so a solid Collada implementation for both import and export
is a priority for us.

The funding I have will cover at least four hours a week spent on
Collada issues, so my medium term goal would be to become the maintainer
for the Collada features in Blender. Short term goal is to get up to
speed with the code base by fixing a few bugs..

Best Wishes,
Domino