[Bf-committers] Collada-patch for testing

Gaia Clary gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Wed Feb 1 10:05:36 CET 2012

Hi.
Should we fully switch discussion to the Wiki page ?
I answer here and add a comment to the Wiki as well.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev_talk:2.5/Source/Development/Todo/Import_Export

More see below...

Am 31.01.2012 07:51, schrieb Juha Mäki-Kanto:
> Hi, Gaia
>
> Good to hear it does something right:) In response:
>
> 1.) Does it work ok with maya without the Second Life- box checked? There
> are some other changes to export which may also affect results.

I have contacted the Maya user for giving me some more help.
Unfortunately he
is under pressure and can get to testing only in a few days. I tell you
the results
as soon as i get them. In the mean time i try to get a Maya test license.

> 2. and 3.) The export with compatibility mode is probably the same as
> 2.49b. I still need to do some research on that with different software to
> have a better understanding, but in the end it's a cosmetic/UI issue which
> is the preferred mode if it comes to that.
I do not understand what you have in mind here. Do you think about
an export option like:  "[ ] enable 90 degree rotation"
Probably it is best to first see if other programs need that rotation thing
and then decide if such an option is needed at all, or just the code fix
would be fine.

> 4.) The imported bones should come out as the regular rig unless your
> pipeline is modifying the armature somehow? Adding bones for example would
> mess with reinterpreting the bones as lines between joints.

There is no scripting involved in the tests i made. The current state
(with your patch):

export character only: Reimport to Blender results in 3 objects of size 0
export character+rig: Reimport to blender gives 3 objects of correct
size plus an
armature with 90 degree rotation of each bone around z-axis

> I'll probably separate the patch into two parts since the exporting code is
> more straightforward and the compatibility part can be controlled from the
> UI so it should have a better change of making it in. The importer part is
> bit more involved, have to see about it.
It would be a good starting point to see the exporter patch in trunk. I
am sure as soon as
the patch is in Blender, there will be a lot of users going to test it.

cheers
Gaia