[Bf-committers] Wayland to soon release stable 1.0

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 08:48:26 CET 2012

Hi,

It's not o much code which interacts with X system directly -- mostly
creating/deleting windows and catching keyboard/mouse events. It shouldn't
be so difficult to adopt this stuff for wayland. Even more, we've got SDL
support in GHOST library so we're kind of ready for wayland.

But, eeh.. I don't think positive about all that forces. Wayland is a way
testing/ustable and even not sure if their protocol is finished already.
The only distro which can force such switch is ubuntu. Distros like debian
wouldn't switch in nearest future. So we'll have to support both
X11/Wayland. Not sure if it's nicely implementable to support both things
in the same binary.

What's also annoying here is that X12 protocol started to be defined. All
this fragmentation of X systems makes me depressed..

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Reuben Martin <reuben.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://fosdem.org/2012/interview/kristian-hogsberg
>
> Has anybody even looked into porting Blender's toolkit to Wayland? Qt and
> Gtk
> toolkits are chomping at the bit to move to Wayland, so I imagine that the
> Linux distros will begin a hard push to move everything to Wayland in the
> not-
> too-distant fiuture.
>
> -Reuben

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin