[Bf-committers] Blender developer meeting minutes - 30 December 2012

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Dec 30 17:10:38 CET 2012

Hi all,

Here's notes from today's session in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders

1) Blender 2.66 targets

- Sergey Sharybin is nearly finished with the alpha pipeline refactor project. Simply said: we will stick to default straight RGBA for all (color managed) byte buffers, and default to premul RGBA for the (linear) float buffers. A lot of worms in this can, fuzzy and unclear code that needed fix up.
Sergey will provide a doc with his commit about the main changes people should be aware of, and where potential regressions could happen.

- Sergey also added support for 16 bits png.

- Nicholas Bishop's dynamic topo sculpt is nearly finished, and could go to trunk this week. It will not be fully f complete then, Custom Data (UVs, colors) will disappear in this mode. They will make sure the UI warns you for it.

- Sergej Reich is working on the Bullet physics branch still. He's now recoding a better Blender compatible point cache for it.

- Cycles hair render is now in svn, Stuart Broadfoot will add full docs a.s.a.p. here;
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.66/Cycles

- Bastien Montagne won't be able to get Freestyle ready in the next weeks, so we move the target to 2.67.

- Note: we enter BCon2 now (targets frozen, mergers happen). Release early february.

2) Other projects

- Ton Roosendaal and Andrea Weikert discussed Asset browsing and systems for Blender. Ton's proposal for 'template assets' (default data for "Add New" options can mostly fit in well, but should be limited for default data. The Asset browser can handle it much nicer. Docs and conclusions will be coming later. There's a lot of interest in it.

- Martin Felke progressed well with his voronoi fracture modifier:
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=User:Scorpion81
  There's still reviews needed, probably not ready for release. As 2.67 it's feasible.

Thanks, and I wish everyone a happy new year! :)

-Ton-