[Bf-committers] Restricting code cleanup

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 11:08:22 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess it's time for Campbell to pick a new pet project :)
> Code readability (style) has indeed improved a lot, but doing this announced in advance on specific moments only would be nice to agree on from now on.
>
> -Ton-

> Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation   ton at blender.org    www.blender.org
> Blender Institute   Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam   The Netherlands
>
> On 29 Dec, 2012, at 18:05, Thomas Dinges wrote:
>
>> I agree with this Sergey, Code and especially Style cleanups should be
>> avoided during bcon 1/2 so other branches won't have merge issues.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Am 29.12.2012 18:02, schrieb Sergey Sharybin:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Proposal would be to stop cleaning up code unless this is really needed
>>> (and i talk about need as in when code style prevents from understanding
>>> the code when working on new feature/fix) or when one does larger changes
>>> in the area caused by new feature/fix for a bug (in this case you can not
>>> avoid making changes anyway). Further, I would really rather to review
>>> maintainer's list and let maintainers to cleanup their areas when that
>>> wouldn't break their ongoing work.
>>>
>>> If that sounds too much strict, could make proposal more permissive by
>>> restricting cleanups during bcon1-2 when targets are being cleaned up on
>>> their own and prepared for final merge. Cleanup in trunk will likely
>>> introduce merge conflicts of trunk into this branch. This could be really
>>> annoying when you're considering only smaller fixes remained but then
>>> suddenly need to resolve more conflicts caused by cleanup in trunk. Could
>>> also be demotivating.
>>>

>> --
>> Thomas Dinges
>> Blender Developer, Artist and Musician
>>
>> www.dingto.org

+1 with exceptions where its reasonable to do so.

* Small-localized cleanups in areas of the code that are being updated.
For example, while updating text editor syntax highlighting I found
some of the code a bit cryptic and did some cleanup commits.
Example of small-localized edits: r53416, r53418

* New code that doesn't follow our code style guide is fine to cleanup.
Example: r53405

* Unusual cases where function is in-fact named wrongly (found a
_set() function that was in fact 'getting' a while back, right next to
a _get function that was getting too :) ), as long as this isnt used
in 100s of places, renaming should also be fine.

--
- Campbell