[Bf-committers] Asset and Template .blend files

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 20:30:03 CET 2012

I always thought it would be cool if we could take an ordinary “.blend”
file and simply rename it so that it had a different extension, like
“.bmat”.  This different extension would serve as an indicator that the
only important information inside is the materials (and associated
textures, nodes, etc) assigned to the first object.

This would give us a portable container for individual materials that would
be much easier to share than using a generic blend file since no prior
knowledge or user interaction would be required to use them. The Materials
panel could then have obvious “save to file” and “open from file” buttons.
We could drag and drop the file onto an object. Associating the file
extension with Blender would allow us to click on website link to a
material and have it added directly to a running instance.

Off topic, I know...