[Bf-committers] Color pipeline todo: alpha

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 20:20:17 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
> Premul for float and key for byte images could work.

Just in the interest of consistency, if we are going with
"Premultiplied" naming convention, can we roll with the inverse of
"Unpremultiplied" and apply it consistently?

I checked in with Mr. Selan and he suggested that "Unpremultiplied" as
consistent. Mr. Gritz uses[1] the TIFF convention of "Associated" and
"Unassociated" convention.

I'm open to whatever naming convention we rest on, and only hope we
can apply it consistently throughout the interface. In particular, the
sidebar panels should likely list "Premultiplied" and the node
conversion should reference "Premultiplied" and "Unpremultiplied."[2]

The "Color Unpremultiply" term should probably be re-evaluated to
avoid confusion, as it is an order of operations event, and the
current label is far to close to the other terms which can only amount
to greater confusion.

Blender needs to take whatever path is most healthy for it, but we can
at least aim to apply the terminology consistently.

With respect,
TJS

[1] http://lists.openimageio.org/pipermail/oiio-dev-openimageio.org/2011-April/004193.html
[2] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.openimageio.devel/1406