[Bf-committers] Color pipeline todo: alpha

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Dec 20 18:17:54 CET 2012

Hi all,

Sergey will start soon on finishing one of the color management issues in Blender: alpha!

Proposed is the following:

- For render & composite we use linear color float buffers. These will use premul alpha only. (Nothing changes)
- When such float buffers get converted to display graphics (typically 24 bits rgb): default will become straight alpha.

This will solve issues using alpha-over for byte buffers. Straight alpha graphics is also common for painting programs (in Blender too). And it'll solve our long outstanding PNG conflict ;)

Saving out byte buffers with premul can stay as option - I think. We can check on the file format spec for it.

All corner cases for this change will have to be further evaluated. Just so people know the svn version of Blender might need some testing the next days.

Feedback welcome too! Maybe there's a better idea?

-Ton-