[Bf-committers] Syntax Highlighting for OSL - Question

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 09:45:38 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think turning the current syntax highlight into an option with
> settings "Off", "Automatic", "Python", "Open Shading Language", ..
> would be ok. Then Automatic would be the default, and it would work
> based on file extension. The setting could be removed from the header
> and moved into a menu. I don't think making it work based on text
> contents is a good idea, it's quick tricky to make that reliable,
> especially distinguishing between code and non-code.
>
> I don't have a particular objection to GLSL or Lua support, if we can
> keep the code simple and modular. Adding Renderman Shading Language
> syntax may be useful too. C/C++ seems a step too far though.
>
> Thanks,
> Brecht.

Looking at the original patch and mixing in different languages in
text_draw.c was a bit messy (infact it would be _very_ messy for 3+
languages),
I've since split out the highlighting code so we can more easily have
multiple highlighters without clogging up the code.

Commit:
http://markmail.org/message/cgart3rdemsrdwfr

Its quite simple but later we can extend out so each language has its
own delimiters, different behavior for indentation (pythons ': ->
Enter' convention wont work nice for others).

Agree with Brecht for selecting language - most editors work this way
(have the syntax highlighting in a menu and auto-select based on file
extension).

As for languages to support - I think its reasonable to limit this to
languages that blender uses directly (GLSL, OSL, Py).

If its just syntax highlighting I guess theres no problem with adding
others - Lua, Povray, RSL.... etc but Im not really keen on having
this at the moment.

--
- Campbell