[Bf-committers] Syntax Highlighting for OSL - Question

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Dec 19 07:50:18 CET 2012

Hi,

I think turning the current syntax highlight into an option with
settings "Off", "Automatic", "Python", "Open Shading Language", ..
would be ok. Then Automatic would be the default, and it would work
based on file extension. The setting could be removed from the header
and moved into a menu. I don't think making it work based on text
contents is a good idea, it's quick tricky to make that reliable,
especially distinguishing between code and non-code.

I don't have a particular objection to GLSL or Lua support, if we can
keep the code simple and modular. Adding Renderman Shading Language
syntax may be useful too. C/C++ seems a step too far though.

Thanks,
Brecht.