[Bf-committers] MSVC2010 maintainer? Python 3.3 libs missing, or only me?

Chad Fraleigh chadf at triularity.org
Mon Dec 17 23:33:48 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> Is there anyone actively maintaining the MSVC2010 platform?
>
> It would be nice if the docs [1] could account for this platform too. Sure,
> we have the msvc10 folders for some of the libs, does that mean I have to
> move those libs to their top folder? and how about the python issue, do we
> have any perspective on having Py3.3. libs in the lib/win64 folder?).

I've been attempting to create a MSVC based batch (not .bat) build
script/makefile for all the external libs needed by blender. Currently
I'm just trying to get everything to compile for 2008 / 32-bit, after
which I will add the changes (where needed) for 2010/2012 and 64-bit.
However the python builds are one of the less messy ones and I've been
able to use 2010/32-bit (and 64-bit should just be a two line config
change, but I don't seem to have the 64-bit tools installed yet).

If you want to try it for yourself (I assume you DO have the full
64-bit tools if you need those libs), you can download a preview (WIP)
copy of it:

http://www.triularity.org/download/blender/winlibbuilder.zip   (134M)
http://www.triularity.org/download/blender/winlibbuilder-nosrc.zip   (3.6M)

If you use the nosrc version (as it is significantly smaller), you
will also need to get the source distros for the libs you want to
compile. The build/source/README.txt file contains info on where they
can be acquired. The builder expects these versions/file names:

build/source/boost_1_52_0.tar.gz
build/source/freetype-2.4.10.tar.gz
build/source/ilmbase-1.0.2.tar.gz
build/source/jpegsrc.v8d.tar.gz
build/source/libpng-1.5.13.tar.gz
build/source/libsamplerate-0.1.8.tar.gz
build/source/llvm-3.1.src.tar.gz
build/source/openal-soft-1.15.1.tar.bz2
build/source/openexr-1.7.0.tar.gz
build/source/Python-3.3.0.tgz
build/source/SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz
build/source/tiff-3.9.2.tar.gz
build/source/zlib-1.2.7.tar.gz

Since the core python build doesn't need any other libs you won't need
any of the others for that.

Just edit the top of build/Makefile.nmake and comment out/uncomment
the appropriate architecture and tool version sections.

Also I haven't done much testing the produced libs with compiling
blender (just getting something to batch build is the first step).

-Chad