[Bf-committers] Vector Sources for UI icons

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 22:00:58 CET 2012

Hello,

Andrzej Ambro's icons were created as vector images.  Although he was
careful to
make them look good in a 16x15 grid they look wonderful at much larger
sizes too,
like those needed for retina displays.

We have a bitmap version, "blender_icons.png", in the source tree but we do
not
have the vector source file in the SVN.  Some icons have been added over
the last
while as bitmaps to the PNG file that are not in the SVG vector file.

Patch #33448<http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=33448&group_id=9&atid=127>
adds Andrzej Ambro's vector file to the source tree.  It is my hope that
we can backport some of the bitmap changes back into the SVG file, and
Wolter
van der Velde has already done some of this work. Once the SVG file
contains all the
images in the PNG we can then treat it as authoritative and use it to
create the bitmap
versions.

Unless there is some reason to not do this that I am not aware of...

Harley