[Bf-committers] distance along line scalar - labda or lambda?

Isaac Lenton isaac at isuniversal.com
Tue Dec 11 14:27:26 CET 2012

A bit of lambda, labda, lambd Trivia:

Sometimes the use of "labda" instead of "lambda" or other misspellings
of the word "lambda" are used in languages that define a built in
"lambda", for example Python uses lambda for anonymous functions.  In
some Python implementations of functions that use lambda, programmers
will sometimes chose to misspell rather then replace with a different
variable.

An example from the Python documentation is the
random.expovariate(lambd), where lambd is another misspelling of
lambda.  The documentation says:

"The parameter would be called "lambda", but that is a reserved word in
Python."

But, in C/C++ I don't see any problem with using lambda, so I would
think these should probably be changed to the proper spelling of the
Greek character.

----
Isaac