[Bf-committers] handling large lists in Blender (vertex groups, shape keys, materials)

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 7 12:51:44 CET 2012

Lists are somehow able to know how many entries they want to display.
That is already for the Shift+Mousewheel resize of the lists. But i
guess it could be a bit difficult to determine how many elements should
be displayed if the corner (not a big fan, since it partially hides the
eye-icon or the scroll bar) if it is dragged by some distance.

Overall i don't think it is an good idea to generate the layout
everytime again and to have no actual components. If it were actual
components we could also avoid the python mess that properties have to
be assigned to bpy.types.* instead using the properties defined inside
the class of the UI element. It works for operators, since they are real
objects, but it doesn't work for UI elements.