[Bf-committers] Development Environments

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Dec 7 09:51:37 CET 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Dean Giberson <dean at deangiberson.com> wrote:
> Hey, just a note I've been running VS2010 Win64 + Scons without issue
> until recently. The current issues are around changes to the OpenEXR
> header layout (VS2008 & VS2010 don't have the same layout) & the OSL
> lib's not using path-less references into OpenEXR (I can just turn off
> OpenEXR & OSL for now). Also there is no python33.lib yet.

The OpenEXR paths I've fixed now, forgot to do this along with VS2008
includes. But it shows that we're lacking maintainers here, if this
only gets noticed now.

> Is there a full build script for the VS2010 libs? Or is it just a matter
> DL-ing and compiling each by hand? Other than the docs about switches at
> https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/lib/win64/Readme.txt
> are there is there anything to help in doing this task? A continuous
> build or such?

There's only what's in svn I think. Boost/OIIO/.. have build.bat
scripts to make building easier, ideally all libs would have this. It
could even include a command to download the libs with the right
version and unpack them (something like wget.exe could be added in the
lib/ directory if there is no native command). That would make
maintaining this and building for different VS versions much easier.

> Also, just to point out VS2008 is hitting end of life. VS2008 Pro has a
> date of April 9, 2013.
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=Visual+Studio.
> I imagine 2008 Express will be similar. A switch to VS2012 Express might
> not be a bad thing to look at in the near future. Not a small task but
> an important one. VS2008 won't suddenly stop working at this date but it
> will get increasingly harder to get any kind of support.
>
> Is there a team in place to do a VS2012 update? I would be willing to
> help out with this if you need the people.

There's a few people would do Windows stuff but not enough time, we
could definitely use help here. It would be great if someone could
build libraries, and ideally along with that set up build.bat scripts
to make it easier to do again.

Brecht.