[Bf-committers] Development Environments

Dean Giberson dean at deangiberson.com
Fri Dec 7 09:08:50 CET 2012

Hey, just a note I've been running VS2010 Win64 + Scons without issue
until recently. The current issues are around changes to the OpenEXR
header layout (VS2008 & VS2010 don't have the same layout) & the OSL
lib's not using path-less references into OpenEXR (I can just turn off
OpenEXR & OSL for now). Also there is no python33.lib yet.

Is there a full build script for the VS2010 libs? Or is it just a matter
DL-ing and compiling each by hand? Other than the docs about switches at
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/lib/win64/Readme.txt
are there is there anything to help in doing this task? A continuous
build or such?

Also, just to point out VS2008 is hitting end of life. VS2008 Pro has a
date of April 9, 2013.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=Visual+Studio.
I imagine 2008 Express will be similar. A switch to VS2012 Express might
not be a bad thing to look at in the near future. Not a small task but
an important one. VS2008 won't suddenly stop working at this date but it
will get increasingly harder to get any kind of support.

Is there a team in place to do a VS2012 update? I would be willing to
help out with this if you need the people.

Dean