[Bf-committers] Development Environments

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Dec 6 07:21:50 CET 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Chad Fraleigh <chadf at triularity.org> wrote:
> While attempting to setup various environments in which I could
> edit/build/test source pulled from trunk, I came across some issues:
>
> The wiki directions for FreeBSD
> (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/FreeBSD)
> are now incomplete (for trunk at least). Since blender now seems to
> require python 3.3 and [currently] FreeBSD's ports system only has up
> to 3.2, it would require the developer to manually compile and install
> the newer python first. Up through blender 2.64 still seems ok.

There's not many people building on FreeBSD, so indeed this can get
out of date. Any help keeping it updated is welcome, most of the
active developers don't have FreeBSD installations.

> The directions for Windows says to use Visual Studio 2008 and states
> that the 2010 version doesn't work. However they now have a 2012
> version. So.. has anyone tried it with 2012 yet? If I try it, would it
> be obvious that it's broke (like a compile error), or something more
> subtle like blender crashes (or acts strange) when run?

The precompiled libraries (lib/ directory in svn) are specific to the
visual studio version. We have 2008 libraries for everything, 2010
usually lags behind a bit, and no 2012 ones yet. I'm not sure about
the compatibility between 2010 and 2012, but it might be that all
libraries need to be rebuild specifically for 2012 to work.

There might be compile errors when building too, but they're likely
only minor problems, the big job is getting the precompiled libraries.

Brecht.