[Bf-committers] Development Environments

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 06:57:43 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Chad Fraleigh <chadf at triularity.org> wrote:
> While attempting to setup various environments in which I could
> edit/build/test source pulled from trunk, I came across some issues:
>
> The wiki directions for FreeBSD
> (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/FreeBSD)
> are now incomplete (for trunk at least). Since blender now seems to
> require python 3.3 and [currently] FreeBSD's ports system only has up
> to 3.2, it would require the developer to manually compile and install
> the newer python first. Up through blender 2.64 still seems ok.
>
> The directions for Windows says to use Visual Studio 2008 and states
> that the 2010 version doesn't work. However they now have a 2012
> version. So.. has anyone tried it with 2012 yet? If I try it, would it
> be obvious that it's broke (like a compile error), or something more
> subtle like blender crashes (or acts strange) when run?
>

> -Chad

FreeBSD devs will have to build and install python3.3,
Since Blender sometimes uses newer versions of Python then Linux
disto's provide, we have a section at the top of the linux build
instructions [1] (Linking to troubleshooting page [2]).

So the FreeBSD instructions could do something similar.

As for Windows, I once had MSVC2010-Express working, but IIRC it
couldn't link a debug build without MSVC2008 installed, MinGW had the
same problem (python32_d.dll relied on it), So you may be able to get
other configurations working but if you get strange linking errors its
not something we're really able to support ATM.
Blender is quite portable but if you use dependencies in our prebuilt
lib/ dir - they can be picky with the configurations they work with.

[1] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux
[2] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Troubleshooting#Compiling