[Bf-committers] Development Environments

Chad Fraleigh chadf at triularity.org
Thu Dec 6 01:43:16 CET 2012

While attempting to setup various environments in which I could
edit/build/test source pulled from trunk, I came across some issues:

The wiki directions for FreeBSD
(http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/FreeBSD)
are now incomplete (for trunk at least). Since blender now seems to
require python 3.3 and [currently] FreeBSD's ports system only has up
to 3.2, it would require the developer to manually compile and install
the newer python first. Up through blender 2.64 still seems ok.

The directions for Windows says to use Visual Studio 2008 and states
that the 2010 version doesn't work. However they now have a 2012
version. So.. has anyone tried it with 2012 yet? If I try it, would it
be obvious that it's broke (like a compile error), or something more
subtle like blender crashes (or acts strange) when run?

-Chad