[Bf-committers] Can BGE be relicensed?

Sinan Hassani [email redacted]
Mon Dec 3 01:50:33 CET 2012

Correct. This would not work. That's why in the post after that I
mention the idea of MIT license only when Blender is compiled as the
BlenderPlayer. When you use BGE within Blender it remains GPL, with no
exceptions to the case. Remember that BlenderPlayer is not all of
Blender, so there is no talk about relicensing Blender or anything of
that nature.

But even that has holes in it and has to be thought about very
carefully. To be honest I'm not a big fan of MIT license either, but
some devs who used to contribute to BGE have told me that they would
only contribute code if BGE was licensed like that.

I think it should be a license that removes distribution restrictions
yet have the requirement to provide source code upon release.

But, yes, I'd like to stop this thread, as it has run its course.

Sinan