[Bf-committers] Blender developer meeting minutes - 2 december 2012

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 2 17:16:10 CET 2012

Am 02.12.2012 16:40, schrieb Sergey Sharybin:
> Hi.
>
> Notes from today's meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders
>
> 1) Blender 2.65 Release
>
> - Release Candidate happened last week. Unfortunately, there's a known
> crasher when entering edit mode. We'll make RC2 AHOY middle next week
> - We'll check on status next meeting and hopefully we could make final AHOY
> soon after this
> - Only crucial fixes are allowed! Brecht and Sergey will read over commits
> next week to prevent accidents
> - No interface strings changes, it'll break translations for the release
> - Bug tracker is at 68 mark, some release stoppers are still there
> - Maintainers should check if all their new features are in release notes:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.65
> - Artists' help with sample .blend files and better images for notes is
> welcome
>
> 2) Other projects
>
> - Bastien was working on list_template improvements to make it's possible
> to have several lists per panel. Review is needed:
> https://codereview.appspot.com/6854125/
>
> That's it for now, thanks everyone!

Since 2.65 is soon to be out, could we expect some major changes within
the dependency graph in future releases? That we are not able to create
dependencies within an armature (for example drivers) or in-between
armatures (Bone to Bone (A1.B1 -> A2.B2 and back A2.B1 -> A1.B2) is
often a real problem for cool stuff. A typical example would be softbody
guided hair. The hair itself depends on the armature, the hair bones
depend on the softbody, but the softbody depends on the armature, even
though it is way down in the hierarchy and does not really depend on the
hair bones itself. The same thing goes for many properties that can't be
used as an input for drivers. I often needed to create a fake dependency
together with a script to read the actual values, but this isn't a true
solution, since the dependency might or might not be updated first.

Additionally i would recommend a major replacement for the current
shapekey implementation. It has a lot of bugs (especially with undo),
consumes a lot of memory and is slow, because every shapekey stores all
vertex locations (even if only one vertex changed) and is applied to
every vertex.

Nice to have:
* Hairs could also need collision again, a feature that is not available
any more after 2.49.
* Newer shader code for the viewport. Many functions used inside the
code are already deprecated.

This are just some thoughts of my own, because they make many projects
unnecessarily difficult.

Greetings from
Tobias Oelgarte