[Bf-committers] Can BGE be relicensed?

Sinan Hassani [email redacted]
Sat Dec 1 03:24:09 CET 2012

Writing a GPL exception license is no easy task. The LGPL is what we
need here.

I think what we should do is keep BGE licensed as GPL, and the GPL
exception should be when BGE is given for distribution under a third
party app store. In cases like that, the BGE can be licensed under LGPL.

So in each BGE source file, after the GPL license, a GPL exception
license could look like this:

In cases where this software is given for distribution under third party
repositories, the software can be licensed under the LGPL. Python
scripts or other runtime script files do not fall under the license of
this software and can be treated as interpreted code or binary data.

<LGPL license is given afterwards>

That essentially becomes the GPL exception license for BGE.

Sinan