[Bf-committers] Blender, crowdfunding and FreedomSponsors

Tony França tony at freedomsponsors.org
Thu Aug 30 20:51:40 CEST 2012

 Hi all

I'd like to introduce FreedomSponsors to this list.

FS is a website I made where people can place small money bounties for
open issues on Blender issue
tracker<http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?atid=498&group_id=9&func=browse>
(or
any other open issue tracker)

So far it's only got a few offers - but it's slowly growing and people seem
to get pretty interested when they look into it.
I really think that as it gets more popular, this tool can have a big
positive impact on a lot of open source projects, especially popular ones
like Blender.

Please take a look -->
- http://www.freedomsponsors.org
 - http://blog.freedomsponsors.org

There's also a JIRA
plugin<https://github.com/freedomsponsors/freedomsponsors-jira-plugin>
that
will add a (discrete) "Sponsor this issue" link on the "view issue" page,
that will let the user add a sponsorship for the issue on FS.
 It's already being used by the Jenkins Project (see it in action
here<https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-12345>
).
 I know Blender doesn't use JIRA, but maybe it will inspire someone to
build an equivalent functionality for.. (bugzilla, I guess?)

The FS website is still in beta stage, but functionality is pretty stable,
and I will implement a few improvements and new functionality soon.
FS is open source on Github <https://github.com/freedomsponsors> (it's a
Python+Django app), and feedback and help is welcome! :-)

I really hope Blender can grow even better because of this initiative

Thanks!
Tony Lâmpada - the FreedomSponsors guy