[Bf-committers] Suggestion: Making translations easier than ever before

Eduard Gotwig gotwig at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 16 22:40:56 CEST 2012

Hello,

I suggest to use the translator service translatewiki.net for managing
translations at Blender 3D.

That should include Wiki and UI translations.

I know that this sounds like a really big thing, and yep it is.

I already wrote with the Founder of the site, Niklas
Laxström<http://translatewiki.net/wiki/User:Nike>,
and he says he can help us, but is not able to lead.He is part of the
Wikimedia Foundation, and knows a lot about translations.

Translatewiki is a service for open source projects to making the life of
OSS Translators easy.

I know that the UI included very very very many strings so lets see if we
can work together, to get this thing running.

Translatewiki works with svn branches and Gettext, so our infrastructure is
already good enough. It gets also used for KDE Wiki
translations<http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Special:LanguageStats&code=de&suppresscomplete=1>,
Wikimedia<http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:MessageGroupStats&group=core>,
etc.

I think about integrating the service into our site, and theme it.

Basicly I think that we are also able to run our own instance, on our
servers.

What do you think about that?